photo aztec-mess_zps0a762b67.png

Sunday 22 February 2015

Meet the new Vitamin C: Vitamin D


Anytime you have a cold, you're usually told two things: drink lots of fluid and consume lots of Vitamin C. Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but one of those two have been proven to be virtually 100% ineffective.

Research has proven within the past few years that Vitamin C does not help boost the immune system in any shape or form. However, one Vitamin luckily does.

Allow me to introduce you to Vitamin D. Most people know this vitamin as a way of boosting your mood during the cold, depressing winter days. However, it does SO much more than that.

When I was young and still in high school, I was essentially known as the girl who pretty much always had a cold. I got sick constantly and binging on oranges never helped. However, that all changed when I began regularly taking Vitamin D. At first I only took it because I lived in rainy Vancouver and therefore was rather deficient and needed to supplement. Then after a while, I began to notice two things: 1) I couldn't remember the last time I had a cold, and whenever I did get sick, the symptoms were no longer as harsh and would only last a few days rather than 2 weeks of being bed ridden, and 2) My skin had never been so clear.

Once I did my research and got some advice from doctors, it turned out that Vitamin D helps balance out hormones, as well as give a massive boost to your immune system. Talk about a win-win! Sadly, very few people are aware of this. Therefore I am writing this blog post to try and help spread the word. The majority of doctors still recommend high doses of Vitamin C because they haven't read up on research in years, but if you're lucky, you'll come across a well-informed doctor who doesn't believe in this nonsense that was based on one study in the 60's...

I personally take 2,000 IU a day, and when I feel a cold coming on or am having proper PMS mood swings, then I take 3,000 IU a day. Before I use to take just 1,000 IU a day but then I had a doctor tell me I can take up to a maximum of 3,000 a day and that 2,000 IU made much more of a difference than just 1,000.

If you're someone who spends a lot of time indoors or you live in a very grey climate, or you're just sick of, well, being sick all the time, then I would highly recommend supplementing with Vitamin D. As always, do your research and first consult your doctor, especially on dosage. Be cautious and aware.

Now go ahead and share this blog post if you want to see the number of flu cases go down ;). 

0 comments:

Post a Comment