photo aztec-mess_zps0a762b67.png

Saturday 14 June 2014

Where are the Layers?


I know I've had a long hiatus, but I can assure you that it is somewhat justified. My reasoning is not your average writer's block. It sadly went much further than that... I essentially got stuck in a rut. Every time I wanted to write something, for example a review, I just thought to myself: what's the point? there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of the exact same thing already out on the internet. Did the world really need another virtually identical post?

Yes, of course, there are many different aspects to a beauty product that one can look at: does it work well, packaging, pricing, longevity, etc etc. But is that actual depth? Or is there really only one layer to it? Don't get me wrong, I am still utterly obsessed with all things beauty related! I can never just "go" a drugstore and not stop at the makeup aisle and swatch things for 20 minutes. Heck, I went to the store yesterday to just buy detergent and I came out with two new moisturizers (don't judge, we've all been there...). It's just that it's quite difficult to pour your heart and soul into something that is - dare I say it - a bit superficial *waits to receive a smite from the gods of beauty as punishment*. Apologies aside, it is in fact hard to bring your personality into something that can only go so far in terms of meaningfulness.

I guess it only makes sense as to why beauty bloggers always eventually start to branch out into writing lifestyle posts as well. To me, writing is a form of art, in which the author can beautifully portray his or her personal thoughts and emotions. But how many thoughts and emotions can a lipstick really hold?

Essentially, what I'm trying to convey here, is that I'd like my blog to grow and sprout new branches. I'd like my audience to be able to get to know me through my writing. And I know that people are more interested in reading about whether a new palette is worth the hype, rather than something a bit more philosophical like the idea of beauty (which I did write about here), but I am going to try and ignore the obvious difference in page views and push forward regardlessly.

Honestly, I still don't have a single notion of what I'll be writing about in the future. There will still be reviews and things of the sort, but it will no longer be the main content of this blog. It'll just be a feature. I will certainly need time to figure out in which direction I want to go, but I am excited (mixed in with a bit of fear and panicking) to begin this soul-searching journey. I can only hope that you'll stick around for it.

Much love,

- Alisa

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading these future posts, Alice! I think you convey all of your thoughts and feelings about lipstick very eloquently, and I am looking forward to this new element of your blogging.

    I am interested to know if you think beauty blogging will look very different a year from now? I am beginning to think that readers will tire of the traditional format soon. Thoughts?

    Love your posts!
    The Brown Eyed Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear The Brown Eyed Girl,

      Thank you for the nice words :). I definitely hope that the traditional format will change within the following year, I know I'm definitely tired of it! Though it is tough to get creative on such topics like beauty-related things. Like I said before, there's only so far you can go in terms of depth with this particular topic.

      Delete